How do I care for my Mortier Pilon?
The recommended method for cleaning and sterilizing is the same for all Mortier Pilon Fermentation Crocks, Brewing Jars and Canning Jars:
- Start by rinsing the inside of your Crock or Jar with lukewarm water from the tap.
- Add in a bit of vinegar and shake so the vinegar gets all over the inner wall of the Crock or Jar.
- Turn the Crock or Jar upside down above the sink to get rid of any excess vinegar. You do not need to rinse the remaining vinegar off as it promotes the growth of good bacteria.
- DO NOT use boiling water or very hot water.
- DO NOT put in the dishwasher
Should you need to clean the outside of the Crock or Jar, use a damp piece of cloth or paper towel.
Please note: all utensils and accessories coming into contact with the food before and during fermentation should undergo the cleaning and sterilizing process outlined above. This includes the Mortier Pilon ceramic weight, along with any utensil used to stir the preparation.